Sunday 9 January 2011

Day 8: Tenby Run

The weather was forecast to be sunny all day and warm (relative to the freezing days I've had up to now) so I decided it was time for some proper exercise. I planned to run, jog and walk on sand and on the coastal path. And, this time (compared to my runs in the woods at home,) I would be carrying an extra 5kg with my backpack full of camera stuff, gadgets, water etc.

First, I parked in Penally (about a mile or so from Tenby) and then ran to Tenby from there along the sandy beach. (I did the sandy South Beach of 1.5km at an average speed of 9.6km/h, average Heart Rate 166bpm - more geeky stats below!)

Then I ran round the headland at Tenby, along the North beach and onto the Pembrokeshire coastal path. Some of it is very steep, and some slippery, so I walked parts. According to the GPS, the highest point was about 90m.



I'd found out low tide was at 15:00 so planned when to get where and before I got to Monkstone head I left the coastal path and, using a rope someone has kindly added, climbed down a rock and onto the beach where there is a waterfall.


Handy Photographer's tips...

To freeze water in a waterfall use a fast shutter speed. This was taken at 1/1000th second:


but if you prefer a smooth, almost mystical look, use a slow (long) exposure. This was 1/2 sec:



For information, the first one with Pikachu was taken at 1/30th second and looks about how we imagine it should look with our eyes.

Back to the blog:

Next, I had a bit of a clamber over rocks. I think the ability to do this, and loving doing it, is in my genes. I love going fast, picking which rock is the next to tread on almost at the last second. I also seem to know how to wedge my foot right on slippery algae-cover rocks, or when barnacle-covered rocks have good grip and I can go faster. I haven't slipped yet, but I know people who have fallen onto sharp rocks or barnacles and it's not a pretty sight.


After the rocks it was more sand, strewn with giant columns of rock like statues.




Then round and up Monkstone head (see map below) for an amazing view. Tenby to the South and Saundersfoot to the North.

This panorama was taken from the end of the head,
looking back to the mainland.
Finally, the last 1.6km jogged/run along the sand to Saundersfoot.
Unfortunately, the sand was that annoying rippled sand with water in the troughs and I got wet shoes and feet.
Fortunately, when I got to the village there was a £1.20 shop (£1 shop + VAT, I guess!!) and I bought some more socks which I changed while having a cappuccino in a cafĂ© waiting for the bus back to Tenby.
Unfortunately, the bus I thought was coming didn't - I found out it doesn't run in the winter.
Fortunately, there was a taxi which I got right back to my car.
Unfortunately, I'm now broke!

So, an amazing day - luck with the weather, the tides, rocking clambering, amazing views!


Maps of run:
(all can be clicked on to zoom in)

The entire journey

Close up from when I left the coastal path
to go along the rocks.

Close up of Monkstone head.
I walked around the South side, then climbed up to the highest point


Stats:

Total distance: 10.9 km

Of that, the system broke down the data into:
  • 1.1km Slow Run
  • 2.2km Fast Jog
  • 4.5km Jog
  • The rest was a mix of walking and slow jogging.



Elevation profile of run
(note bottom line is not zero.)

Heart Rate and Speed of my journey


Click to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment