Friday 7 January 2011

Day 6: Angelsey (second day)

Bangor

The weather was supposed to be bad first thing - it said it might even snow - so I stayed close to start with and went to Bangor pier. It sticks halfway out into the Menai Straight (the narrow stretch of sea between mainland and Angelsey) and if it was much bigger it would be a bridge.



Next I drove North and again saw some amazing scenery...


including skies...


Beaumaris Castle

The next place I arrived at was Beaumaris. I hadn't really planned it, but I decided to go to the castle.



It was amazing. It's like a double castle: there is the central courtyard surrounded by the keep walls and you can walk on top and through long dark passageways. There is also a chapel, lots of little chambers and rooms. Outside this main keep, there is another complete outer wall which you can also go inside and climb on.

One of the long passages.
What is in this picture that would not have been there in C13 (the 13th century) when the castle was built?

Inside one of the turrets (the middle floor is missing now.)

Amazing views with the mountains in the background.


Click here for the
Beaumaris Castle Spot the Pikachu competition

Lambs

On the way to my next stop, I came across a field of lambs - it's not spring yet!



Penmon Point

My final stop of the day was Penmon Point, a peninsular on the East of the Angelsey. There was a small  island close by called "Puffin Island" which you can see in the background.



The lighthouse was unusual because it had a bell on the side which rang about twice per minute.
Can you see it in the picture below?



So after the bad weather report in the morning, it was very cold and windy, but no snow, no sleet and no rain until literally two minutes after I left Penmon Point. Honestly - it had been dry all day until I got in the car to go back to the Travelodge! My holiday weather-luck continues.    


NB: I have now moved my travel map to a separate page. See menu on right or click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment