Monday 3 January 2011

Day 2: Wirral, Cheshire

Some of my favourite discoveries when travelling have been accidents. Today was no exception. Yesterday, while looking at the map, I found three small islands just off the West of Wirral in the Dee estuary. I love going to islands, so I quickly did a bit of net research and found out they were tidal - which means you can walk to them when the tide is out. I checked out the safe route and tide times (so I wouldn't be stuck on the islands when the tide came in!)

After breakfast, I drove for about 3h30 and got to West Kirby on the West side of Wirral at around lunchtime. Munching a sandwich as I went, I walked out to the islands over the wet sand/clay. The first island, "Little Eye" is very small:

(remember you can enlarge the photos by clicking on them)

 The next "Middle Eye" is long and thin and as you get to the end you look out to the main island:



The last one, "Hilbre Island," is the largest and is inhabited. There are about 5 houses there and the owners can only go shopping in a 4x4, driving over the wet sand when then tide is out.



The islands after sunset:



For more information about the islands click:

GPS Mapping

I have lots of gadgets including my hand-held GPS.



Apart from finding out where to go and how far it is, I also use it to "record" my journey. When I get back, I can automatically plot the map of where I went (my route there and back are in green):


and a close-up to show the detail on the main island:


After the islands, I drove to my Travelodge in Bromborough.

No comments:

Post a Comment