Thursday 6 January 2011

Day 5: Anglesey

First this morning, a quick journey over the Britannia bridge to Anglesey island and my first stop was at
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
which is a small town most famous for its name. It has the longest place name in Europe and one of the longest place names in the world.


The name in English means: "Saint Mary's Church in a hollow of white hazel near the swirling whirlpool of the church of Saint Tysilio with a red cave." Click on the name for more info in Wikipedia.







Next, I went to a forest called "Newborough Forest" in the far South West of Anglesey, and spent the whole afternoon walking along a massive sandy beach and out onto a peninsular which is only connected to the main island by a thin strip of sand. In fact it is called an island: "Llanddwyn Island."













The views around were amazing with the snow-capped mountains of Snowdonia in the background.
(As always, click the photos for a larger version.)








After I took the picture below, I think I saw a Welsh version of the Loch Ness Monster in the water.
Can you see it?




At the end of the peninsular there was an old lighthouse building.
What's missing?




some cottages
who do you think they were for?




a random cannon and some horses...




some remains
What do you think it was before?




and a cross.
What kind of cross is this?




Next, I drove to another small bay and watched the sunset.







and finally saw the very thin crescent moon...






GPS Map of my walk:


The tide was out on my way back so I didn't really
walk back through the sea as it looks in this picture.





1 comment: