Wednesday 5 January 2011

Day 4: Llandudno

Llandudno cycling

Llandudno is sort of squashed between two bays at the foot of Great Orme, a big rocky hill that goes up to 207m and is about 2 miles long. My plan, having seen it on the BBC Coast series was to cycle round Great Orme - more of that later. (Click the highlighted links to find out more if you are interested.)

South West side (Orme in the background)
Orme from the other side
Pikachu sunbathing with Orme in the background
(actually he was shivering in the icy wind!)


When I arrived in Llandudno this morning, it was blinkin' freezing in the very strong wind, but I put on lots of layers of clothes and got my bike out. As I went past a little lake, I was nearly killed by a pack of deadly attack swans:





Actually, they were ok. I think they thought I had some food.

After my animal encounter, I cycled around the town from one bay to the other to check it out. After getting some lunch to take with me, I went to the start of the road that goes around Great Orme (it's a one-way road.)

Me looking really "cool" in my bike helmet and reflective coat
Marine Drive is on the left, Orme in the background.

Unfortunately, it was closed! Apparently, they were doing some work on it and there might be falling rocks. Oh no! But fear not, it may be open by Friday so I might try again. As I was near the pier, I walked along there instead.




Great Orme Summit

I cycled back to the car, folded my bike away, then drove up a very steep road to a car park near the top of Orme. Putting on every item of clothing I had in the car and zipping my coat up to my nose, I braved the wind, which up here must have been 30-40mph. Then I walked the last few hundred meters to the summit. There were some amazing views but I could hardly stand up in the wind and my eyes got very cold (the only bit of me that was exposed.)


Llandudno at night

Next I went back down to the town...

There are tram tracks next to the road.

...and had a quick look around, including the beach.



Conwy Castle

Finally, I drove back to my Travelodge via a well-known drive-thru fast food emporium, and Conwy where I stopped for some night photography of the castle:





Map

Here is the map of where I cycled and walked today: (remember to click it to zoom in)



GPS Pulse Watch

I have a special watch that not only has a GPS receiver built in to tell me how far I have gone and how fast I am going, but by putting on a chest strap, it also tells me my heart rate (and records it) so I can make sure I'm not overdoing the exercise.



Once back on the computer, I can have a look at all the data: (click to see the detail)


On this graph from part of my cycle ride, it shows my heart rate in red and speed in blue. In the middle of the time my heart rate is high, but the speed drops. Why do you think that is?

No comments:

Post a Comment